2nd SADC YOUTH FORUM; MOZAMBIQUE 2020
Press Release: 10 August 2020
The Southern Africa Youth Forum (SAYoF-SADC), the primary convener of the SADC Youth Forum and SADC Youth Parliament is a coordinating body for youth and youth organisations in SADC, youth representative in the SADC-CNGO, the Africa Focal Point in United Nations Major Group for Children and Youth (UNMGCY) and appointed by Africa Union (AU) to be part of the Africa Youth Front on Covid-19 a high level policy and advocacy framework by the Africa Union (AU) for young people to co-lead Africa’s response to Covid-19.
The 2nd SADC Youth Forum scheduled for Mozambique, but due to Covid-19 pandemic; the 2020 Forum will be held virtually. The theme for 2020 Forum is; Catalysing Youth Agency in Regional Processes: Our Future Starts Today. The SADC Youth Forum is expected to be attended by more than 500 young people and stakeholders from 16 SADC Countries; contributing to various sessions. The SADC Youth Forum is an annual event hosted before the SADC Heads of States and Government Summit to deliberate on critical issues affecting young people and proffer sustainable solutions in the region. The 2nd SADC Youth Forum is coming after a successful First Addition hosted in Tanzania. The youth who constitute more than 60 percent of total population in the SADC Region are important players in the development of the region and their demographic dividend must be harnessed.
This year’s forum is starting on 12 August which is International Youth Day. The forum has attracted high level speakers from the region, including Deputy Minister Emma Theofelus from Namibia, leaders of Youth Councils, from Africa Union, World Bank, Young people from vulnerable Communities, and youth organisations, change makers, universities among other.
The Forum which is scheduled from 12 to 14 August 2020 will start with the SADC Youth Parliament with 80 young people from 16 SADC Countries discussing solution-oriented approaches that will feed in to the SADC Youth Forum outcomes. The 2020 SADC Youth Parliament Theme is dubbed, “Born into Debt; Young People’s Future Under Threat”
The outcomes for the three-day SADC Youth Forum will be shared with the SADC Secretariat, Heads of States & Government, Member States, CSOs, Regional Organisations, Africa Union, UN and other stakeholders for action. The young people, and youth organisations will also take the outcomes for implementation at country level.
Ahead of the Forum, various thematic committees composed of young people who were selected after a rigorous process of application; were established to prepare for the Forum, and youth leaders are actively taking part as members in different committees such as the: SADC Youth Forum Committee , SADC Youth Parliament, Health (Including Covid-19) Committee, Governance, Policy and Political Inclusion Committee, Environment and Climate Change Committee, Education, Science, and Technology Committee, Gender Committee, Peace and Security (Migration and Transitional Justice) Committee, Business and Entrepreneurship Committee, Media and Communication Committee and Disability Committee
For registration of different Sessions See links Below: Also Contact us: [email protected] or WhatsApp: +264 857210607
• 2nd SADC Youth Parliament (Group Session- Time: 1330 CAT) : LINK FOR THE SADC YOUTH PARLIAMENT SESSION
• SADC Youth Forum – Youth with Disabilities Breakaway: 15:30 CAT : LINK FOR THE DISABILITY BREAKAWAY SESSION
• SADC Youth Forum – Gender Justice and Women’s Rights Breakaway Time : 15:30CAT: LINK FOR THE GENDER JUSTICE AND WOMEN’S RIGHTS BREAKAWAY SESSION
• 2nd SADC Youth Forum (Peace and Security Group Session: Time: 13:30 CAT : LINK FOR THE PEACE AND SECURITY GROUP SESSION
• SADC Youth Forum – Governance, Leadership, Political Inclusion and Youth Policy Breakaway: 15:00(CAT) :LINK FOR THE GOVERNANCE, LEADERSHIP, POLITICAL INCLUSION AND YOUTH POLICY BREAKAWAY SESSION
• SADC Youth Forum – Climate Change, Environment and Disaster Preparedness Breakaway 15:00 CAT: LINK FOR THE CLIMATE CHANGE, ENVIRONMENT AND DISASTER PREPAREDNESS BREAKAWAY SESSION
• 2nd SADC Youth Forum (Pan-Africanism & Heritage: (Group Session) Time 12:45 CAT : LINK FOR THE PAN-AFRICANISM AND HERITAGE SESSION
• SADC Youth Forum – Education, Science, and Technology Breakaway 14:00 CAT: LINK FOR THE EDUCATION, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY BREAKAWAY SESSION
• SADC Youth Forum – Health and COVID-19 Breakaway 14:00CAT: LINK FOR THE HEALTH AND COVID19 BREAKAWAY SESSION
• SADC Youth Forum – Youth Employability, Business and Entrepreneurship Breakaway 14:00 00: LINK FOR THE YOUTH EMPLOYABILITY, BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP BREAKAWAY SESSION
Closing Ceremony: Time 15:10-1700Hours (CAT): LINK FOR THE 2ND SADC YOUTH FORUM CLOSING CEREMONY