500 African youth met from the 24th April to the 27th April 2019 at the African Union Headquarters in Addis Ababa for the 2nd Pan-African Youth Forum. We were amongst these youth that comprised over 40 countries of Africa. From the deliberations, we hereby declare the need for the creation of an African Youth Assembly that serves as a platform for young people at the AUC to impact decision making under the leadership of the Office of the AU Youth Envoy. The African Youth Assembly , shall be a formal and inclusive decision making body for African youth which shall include all formal and informal youth structures.
Through the recognition and realization of this declaration, we reiterate that young people have a right to participate on equal terms, as partners, not just beneficiaries, with other stakeholders on matters which impact their lives. This includes the development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of policies, programmes, and initiatives particularly the 1 Million by 2021 initiative, launched by the Chairperson of the African Union
Commission, H.E. Moussa Faki Mahamat on the 27th April 2019.
We commit to ensuring that young people are afforded trust and acceptance in their role of decision-making, so that we may all benefit from true partnerships, opportunities for intergenerational dialogue, and strengthened ability to tackle issues which affect young people’s lives.
Declaration for the African Youth Assembly
We, the African Youth:
● Affirming that Africa is the youngest continent with an average age of 19 years old;
● Recognizing the efforts made by the African Union Commission (AUC) to
meaningfully engage young people through the appointment of the Special Envoy on Youth H.E. Ms.Aya Chebbi and the AU Youth Advisory Council;
● Acknowledging the non-existence of a formal Pan-African inclusive and diverse structure for young people in Africa to take collective decisions for themselves, by themselves;
● Committing to work together to achieve the African Union Agenda 2063, implement the African Youth Charter and other regional and international commitments.
The Forum declares that the African Youth Assembly:
- Has the mandate to:
a. Address issues of concern raised by African Youth;
b. Unite all youth structures including but not limited to youth movements, civil society organizations, national youth councils, diaspora, youth entrepreneurs, artists, scholars, activists, refugees and women groups;
c. Create an African Youth Assembly constitution and coordination committee;
d. Organize african youth at the national and regional levels and communicate directly to African youth through various platforms;
e. Serve as sustainable inclusive engagement mechanism between the African Union Commission and African youth;
f. Reach 1 million members by 2021.
- Should create a web platform designed to cater for challenges, feedback, suggestions, ideas and petitions.
- Encourage cultural exchange through the creation of cultural villages; online cultural exchanges; language exchanges; and a Pan-African festival.
- Ensure that the Assembly’s work is inclusive, accountable, and transparent through the creation of reporting mechanisms.
- Develop a structure to engage African Youth at strategic levels as leaders and young professionals.
We call for:
- Resource support in the creation and further development of the African Youth Assembly;
- Organizing for Pan-African festivals to mobilize for the assembly launch;
- Commit to support the meaningful inclusion and engagement of youth in Africa, on decision making, and drivers of progress on the continent.
We, the undersigned, commit to further deliberations for the creation of the African Youth Assembly
List of signatories:
- African Switch Energy and Water Alliance Club
- Pan African University Institute of Water and Energy Sciences – PAUWES
- Pan African University Institute of Water and Energy Sciences – Climate Change and Gender Club
- Afrika Youth Movement
- Jua Jamii African Union Team for the Solar Decathlon Africa Challenge
- Organization of African Youth
- Youth Action Movement
- Southern Africa Youth Forum
- Youth for Innovation Trust
- Alliance for Accountability Advocates Zambia
- Cameroon Active Youth Association
- Youthcare DRC
- ECOWAS Youth Council
- Southern Africa Alumni Network
- Association des Jeunes Professionnels pour la Démocratie le Progrès Social DRC
- African Youth Bureau – Egypt
- Bozoor Project for Parallel Education – Egypt
- African Youth Forum
- African Youth in Agribusiness Organization – AYA-CHAD
- Pan African University Institute for Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation – PAUSTI
- PAUSTI Entrepreneurship and Innovation Club (PEIC)
- Youth For Change Tanzania
- Africa Youth Trust
- InnoVision Concepts GmbH
- Zanzibar Youth Council
- Réseau des Jeunes pour le Développement et le Leadership au Tchad
- The Zanzibar Fighting Against Youth Challenges Organization (ZAFAYCO)
- Associação dos Estudantes das Universidades Privadas de Angola (AEUPA)
- Panafrican Youth Organisation of 54 countries in Africa (G54 AFRICA)
- Jeunes cadres du Congo
- Youth Advisory Panel – Zambia